Attention - Youth Summit Postponement
In response to the COVID-19 Coronavirus outbreak, Indy Youth Entrepreneurship Initiative Inc. (IYEI) has made the diffiult decision to postpone the 2020 Indy Youth Entrepreneurship Summit and Pitchfest. We appreciate all of the support we have received while planning and promoting this event. Please visit our programs page to learn more about our current programming opportunities.
Entrepreneurial Problem-Solving In Action
The 2020 Indy Youth Entrepreneurship Summit and Pitchfest is a free three-day youth conference and pitch competition, hosted by Indy Youth Entrepreneurship Initiative Inc. (IYEI) in partnership with the Edna Martin Christian Center. The summit will take place Thursday, July 9, 2020 through Saturday, July 11, 2020 at KIPP Legacy High School.
Day 1 And Day 2 — The Challenge
Thirty high school students (grades 9 - 12) will be selected to participate in a series of interactive workshops that will help them learn about entrepreneurship and experience what it means to be entrepreneurial. Over the course of two days, participants will be divided into six groups that will be challenged to work together to brainstorm, develop, and create a pitch for a business idea that helps achieve one of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals:
- Goal 1 End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- Goal 2 End hunger, achieve food security and improved
nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Goal 3 Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Goal 4 Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Goal 5 Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Goal 6 Ensure access to water and sanitation for all
- Goal 7 Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy
- Goal 8 Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all
- Goal 9 Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Goal 10 Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Goal 11 Make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Goal 12 Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Goal 13 Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Goal 14 Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources
- Goal 15 Sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, halt biodiversity loss
- Goal 16 Promote just, peaceful and inclusive societies
- Goal 17 Revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
Day 3 — The Pitchfest
On the final day of the summit, participants will compete in a Shark Tank style pitch competition in front of their friends, family, and community. Each group will have five minutes to share their pitch with a panel of local judges. Following the pitch, judges will be given the opportunity to ask each group questions about their business idea. Once every group has had the opportunity to pitch, the judges will choose a winner. The winning group, as well as, one nominated member from each of the five remaining groups will be given the opportunity to participate in an after-school program where they will receive support developing and launching a business idea of their own — following the summit. Each group's pitch will be required to include:
Participate In The Summit
We are now accepting applications for participants in the 2020 Indy Youth Entrepreneurship Summit and Pitchfest. High school students interested in entrepreneurship are encouraged to apply.
To be eligible to participate, applicants must:
- Be enrolled in an Indianapolis area high school as a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior
- Submit a completed application with permission of a legal guardian
- Submit a signed Applicant Recommendation Form with their application*
- Be available to attend all three days of the summit
- Have reliable transportation to and from the event
Participant application process:
- Applications will be accepted Monday, January 20, 2020 through Saturday, April 18, 2020.
- Thirty applicants will be selected during the week of April 20, 2020.
- Those selected will be notified via email, no later than Friday, April 24, 2020.
- Selected applicants and their guardian will be required to attend a mandatory orientation during the week of May 11, 2020.
The 2020 Indy Youth Entrepreneurship Summit and Pitchfest is made possible by the support of the following sponsors:
Support The Summit
Interested in being a part of the 2020 Indy Youth Entrepreneurship Summit and Pitchfest? We are now accepting applications for volunteers and instructors, nominations for our entrepreneurial mentor panel, inquiries for sponsorships, and donations to our fundraising campaign.